Friday, February 3, 2017

Research Journal #1


What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our required course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?
At the beginning of this research project, I knew I wanted to write about something that had to do with sports. Whether it pertained to effects on the body when training or something that had to do with injuries. I narrowed my topics down to psychological effects after suffering an injury in the NFL and effects on academic success when suffering a concussion for high school athletes. I decided to continue with high school athletes based on the amount and variety of the articles I was finding on the topic.

What research question did you choose, and how can I be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgment on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
I chose to study the effects of concussions on high school athletes because I was able to find several peer-reviewed articles and was able to find several keywords that linked me to other scholarly articles on the topic.


What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)? 
Research Article---> Qualitative Research/Grounded Theory

Wasserman, E. B., Bazarian, J. J., Mapstone, M., Block, R., & Wijngaarden, E. V. (2016). Academic Dysfunction After a Concussion Among US High School and College Students. Retrieved January 27, 2016.

How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)? 
I can be sure it corresponds with the literature by using the key term "public health" and using other key terms that are consistent with finding good peer-reviewed articles.

How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?
Public Health= the health of the population as a whole, especially as monitored, regulated, and promoted by the state.

Adolescent= in the process of developing from a child into an adult.

Concussion=temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.

Dysfunction=deviation from the norms of social behavior in a way regarded as bad; abnormality or impairment in the function of a specified bodily organ or system.

Did anything unexpected happen? From you initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?
Nothing unexpected has happened thus far in my research. I really like my topic and think that so far, it works fine. I'm sure I'll have to change it a little bit at some point but for now, it works with the types of research we have talked about in class and the key terms I am using help me find other articles that I can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment